Thursday, August 25, 2011

The final goodbye

The boys are the hardest to say bye to. The girls pretend they never liked Teacher Russ at all, then slip notes that say “Secret!” asking for e-mails from the departed. The boys, they say, “You’ll be here Thursday?” but know I won’t.

Jake pulls Eric and I into a group hug, then they break away to do the western handshakes that I taught them. Hand limp, slide and snap, bump and break dramatic. Thumb in then up, shoulders back and pull bodies together for the double back slap.

They’re ready for a cameo on Entourage. They’ve got the western slang and know the lyrics to the oldies and current kiddie pop songs I taught them. They’ve got promises to visit one day in Canada and rich parents who will probably send them.

I’ve got my memories and a plane ticket.

No comments: