Thursday, August 20, 2009

Life after lifecasting

Biffi’s back.   Jessica Biffi, the reality TV runner up on Project Runway Canada’s second season, has landed a post-Slice gig. Like fellow PRC alumni Lucian Matis, who  partnered with McDonalds to promote its line of “stylish salads” earlier this year, Biffi is subsidizing her TV fame by becoming a brand ambassador.

Biffi has been commissioned to create a capsule collection of back-to-school looks for kids using second-hand clothes treated with Tide Stain Release as part of a  new marketing initiative for the Procter & Gamble brand.

When I caught up with Biffi following  FAT this spring, she had told me was in talks with some big brand names, but couldn’t yet divulge the details. “Since the show, everyone from celebrities to major national companies have approached me for my work,” she said.

Biffi, a Rye-High grad who was working in retail before landing Runway, said the show put her work in front of industry eyes, and though she lost out on the title, she said the show still jump-started her career.

“Project Runway Canada, put me on the map, and in plain view of the industry. Its opened a lot of doors, not just because of the contacts made while on the show, and the people I got to meet, but also the exposure it gave to my skills, which can't be bought.”

Working with companies like P&G will also introduce Biffi to Canada’s corporate community, which could help the designer secure financing for her namesake label, which she was working on when she wrote me in June. Biffi said she has some deals in the works, but wants to focus on her own label, and said a show at LG Fashion Week is in the plans.

“I have a few deals still in the works, which should be out soon, but most importantly, I've started my own label and I'm doing what I've always wanted to be doing. Its always been the goal, but the show has made it a reality for me, much sooner than I would have been able to do on my own.”

1 comment:

Alex said...

gymboree? sounds like some sort of sex thing.