Friday, November 05, 2010

Field day fun

We were asked to think back of field days past, what we did all those elementary afternoons as students. So came quickly memories of colored pinnies, ribbons won and contests lost, grass-stained jeans taken home for mom to wash.

Typed up a list of our favourite games and woke early one autumn Saturday to play. We all met at school and started a walk over to the town athletics stretch where our field day took place. Out of their usual Saturday studies, the kids asked why we weren’t taking a bus, but walked just as happily.

First came a mummy relay, all wrapped up in toilet paper. So I stood arms out and watched my team spin round me, until the white wrapped round my face and all I knew was what they shouted to me.

An egg race and a kimbap lunch, we raced through blog tag and a drop and pop. The balloons blew up and ran cross the field to pop. And as the students all swarmed the box full of candy prizes, I wandered out and picked up the plastic pieces.

The sun still too warm squinted tired eyes of one Teacher Russ, ready for napping. Like the balloons, he was popped.


















No comments: