Friday, July 15, 2011

Tiger-Tiger ice cream

Down into a sandy bowl we walk, the air hot and heavy on our heads. We’re split up at the queue and I step ahead to two women in purple t-shirts holding out their hands. At the first tiger, I don’t know what to do, so I kneel and place hand awkwardly on his back.

Twist my head around and see the calm cats will let you do almost anything, save for a tummy rub. Next pair I grab two tails, see a playful little growl. I find a young tiger and lay right down with it, petting top to bottom down to the tail.

Later we watch a monk play with a small tiger’s paws, sprawled out on his robe. In another area we watch them toss and turn in a pool of water, rolling lumber kittens in the middle of a fight.

Our guide shows us the other animals then nods towards the car, leading us to an afternoon elephant ride.

No comments: