Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Wat Pho

Around the corner from the restaurant, a site I can’t resist. Wat Pho is like the Buddha Disney. Poles shoot up all around the site, starting as thick flower covered pillars and thinning into teeny-tiny towers.

Taylor spent a day seeing the city’s temples and leaves me to wander the Wat with my lone gaping wonder. So different from the Korean palaces and temples, Wat Pho is covered in gaudy, ornate details. From every vantage in the sunlight, the buildings sparkle.

Buddha statues line the interiors, the shadows coloring the gold and black paint covered bodies. Gargoyles protect the spirits and monks bow to shrines lit with an eerie clubish blueness.

I lose myself in all the corridors; turn round and round till I find the exit. She’s waiting on the curb outside, ready for the next adventure.

No comments: