Saturday, June 28, 2008


Regardless of where we move, we'll always be in Winnipeg.

My story is age-old. The naive bright-eyed kid heading to the bright lights of the big city. Macaulay Culkin did it much better than me in Party Monster. As I count my minor successes in Toronto I am awaiting the second half of my film-story. 

Underdog-in-the-big-city stories are like films about drugs. In the beginning everything is fun; there are drugs, money and parties for everyone. But if you make it to the end of the movie you have to see Johnny Depp or Jared Leto face down in a dirty motel bathroom toilet bowl. 

Will this happen to me? I secretly hope so (I've always been a Jared Leto fan). But odds are it won't, because as far as I migrate, I leave with friends. Winnipeg is a city that follows you around like a lost puppy; even when you kick it, it wants to be your friend. 

So instead of kicking dogs, I'm having drinks with my former city. And Genna and I intend to have many drinks this summer. 

Here's to hoping Jared Leto isn't hogging the toilet when I have to throw up in the morning.

2 comments:

carli mia said...

represent.

biz said...

heart heart heart