Monday, September 07, 2009

All we need is (apartment) therapy
All photos from Apartment Therapy

Sundays are best spent sedentary. But with autumn crawling closer I realized today that summer has snuck away before I have had a chance to make to the most of my supposed spare time. And of the many projects that went by the wayside when office work began to pile high this summer, decorating the apartment I moved into back on July 1 has been the most neglected.

Two months too late I trekked towards the closest Canadian tire this morning to pick up paint. Staring at the rainbow of swabs made my mind go numb, but eventually I found a colour both conceptual and complimentary. The can calls it Floating Bubbles, but I prefer to refer to the hue, simply, as blue.

Back at the apartment I realized the walls weren’t ready and had to return for trip two to Canadian Tire to pick up dry wall. A day delayed I’ve been sitting on my bed watching the dry wall dry, wondering when the wall will be ready to have paint applied.

To satisfy my sartorial desires I’ve spent the past few hours on Apartment Therapy, compiling list of Do-It-Yourself projects I’ll never do and fantasizing about luxurious loft spaces and artsy apartments.

My favourites are listed below. Now, it’s time for the first coat of primer, and a promise that Labour Day Monday will be more productive.

Don't Stray, M-A-P-S: An inexpensive addition to an empty wall, maps remind you of the world outside your apartment door. Globes, like the mini-spinner I have sitting on my window-sill, also do the trick.
The Writing's On The Wall: Life is temporary, and so should be decor. Mix it like Martha and you too can create a changeable chalkboard. Reminder: upon completion, chalk over the surface once, and rub away.
Keep it clean: After moving into my latest place, Lauren and I went on a hunt for home furnishings through Parkdale and up Roncesvalles. I found a lovely, ancient army-green trunk to turn into a table, but still wish I had a tub-table like the one found in this Montreal loft.
Plants and Animals: Outdoing every owner of an Ansel Adams, Kim Johnson of Design to Inspire brings the outdoors in with a woodsy photo wall.Too Much Is Never Enough: After seeing the cluster of art above Liza's bed last year I've been curating a small collection of awkward, adorable and too-tacky frames, photos and editorials for my own well-worked wall, like the one above. So far I have ten odd frames sitting against almost-empty white, but these are best built with time.

1 comment:

Kasandra Bracken said...

weird, i've totally been stealing ideas from this site all week!