Saturday, May 08, 2010

King of cars

So he says to me: “This must be like me covering a fashion show.”

I was a bit out of place. We were at the Gumball, surrounded by luxury cars. The proud and wealthy behind the wheel of Mercedes, Morgans, BMWs, Bentleys: Corvettes and other compensation. I wasn’t sure what we were looking at.

Derek is a car guy. I’m a lifestyle guy. Luxury made those worlds collide, but Derek actually wanted to see cars. I was hunting celebrity. But I missed Xzibit, heard no mention of the Hoff, saw no important daughters or Middle Eastern princes.

At one point I lent a pen so someone from The Wire could sign a book, but that was about it. One ink stain and a sea of pretty, shining autos. I snapped pictures until sunset, when the photos became stained with steely flash.

Still not a car guy, I slipped out of the crowded street and walked all the way home.

Rolls, rolls, rolling
Americana
Lengthy Lamborghinis
Idris Elba (the Wire)
Front page paper press
Slick and streamlined in silver
Somebody get me a drink, he screams

1 comment:

Derek Kreindler said...

The fact that you can identify a Morgan puts you ahead of a lot of auto journalists. Guess I have to sit front row at fashion week to restore the cosmic balance of the world.