Thursday, May 27, 2010

Miss wild thing

I used to wake up to the sound of Erica Peck rummaging through her closet. Back then she was starring in We Will Rock You and living in a two-bedroom apartment with my ex. By night Peck was Scaramouche, a vampy vixen on a mission to save rock and roll.

Her daylight persona wasn’t so different: Peck is always on stage. Before leaving the apartment she’d tease her hair up two inches, slap on bright bitch-red lipstick, and slip on platform heels.

She has the wardrobe to work it. As Peck puts it, “My style is a blend of the cheeky side of vintage, big hair, big shoes, and things that sparkle in the night.”

You no longer need to sleep with one of her friends to peak into her closet. Peck has set up shop on Etsy, selling selected vintage goods in an online-boutique she’s calling Wild Thing Vintage.

She says the shop will sell a mix of ‘50s and ‘60s glamour alongside ‘80s shoulder-padded treasures. Peck promises it won’t be standard vintage. “My favorite pieces to sell are the ultra-out there, one-of-a-kind treasures,” she says. “When those things find homes it's awesome, because I know whoever bought it is just as happy to find it as I was.”

Most of the pieces, she says, also won’t break the bank. “My price range must be affordable. I'd like to make enough profit for it to be worth my while, but right now, I'm working on getting a clientele that will return again,” she says. “I love vintage clothing on the bodies of people out in the sun, not sitting on hangers waiting for the person with no budget to come along.”

When she’s not busy filling Drew Barrymore’s old role as Julia in the Mississauga production of the Wedding Singer, Peck says she’s available to swap goods-for-cash on Queen St. That is, at least until she heads off to P.E.I. this fall to play Penny in Hairspray.

So Ms. Peck, sometime before then: I’d like to snag those slick gold gaga glasses.

No comments: