Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Welcome back Ryerson.

The only thing worse than the crowds of tourists that have filled the city's core this summer are the crowds of students that line Gould St. today. It turns out some of the suburbanites from Mississauga that have been loitering around the Eaton Center clutching Abercrombie & Fitch bags are now proud students at Ryerson University. I give most of them a semester before they drop out and enroll in nursing at George Brown.

On my way to the bookstore I bumped into first years that couldn't give up the comforts of home and to attend Queens or Western--or worse ones who didn't get it. Few older students are around and it seems like everyone in the image arts, fashion, writing and TV programs decided to wait a week before showing up, or have learned the art of hiding out off campus between classes. Business students and engineers fresh off frosh week however, are out in full force.

The street is closed and in lieu of parked cars are dozens of booths giving away free samples, convincing students to sign up for new cell phone plans and offering cheapie spring break vacations. Logos and pins are everywhere. There is even a DJ. It all seems a tad unnecessary considering the only thing that unites students at Rye High is that they didn't want to go to the type of school Ryerson is trying to become.

The walk to the bookstore was overwhelming and exhausting. I bought a graphic novel for a course I'm not taking and went home, calling it a day. When the commuters start spending as little time as possible at school and a few hopeful first years and jaded third years drop out, causing the lines around campus shorten, I'll give it another go.

Welcome back.

4 comments:

stephanie fereiro said...

Today, walking down Gould took about ten minutes longer than it should have at noon, any day of the week. I'm a first year journalism student and have no idea how I came across your blog. Anyways, all very good points. The DJ was terrible, and if anything, it made people want to run away. Well, me, at least. Too bad the rest of the crowd would be considered the grain I was going against. Or, the grain I will be going against for the next four years.

liza101 said...

o russless, I envy your going back to school, don't forget to be a bit grateful

Fallon said...

I like your blog, it's fantastic !
:D

le bri said...

Your right, us Image Arts folks were either skipping the week or already in the editing suites making (hopefully) art. I glimpsed at the crowded Gould St for one second and turned my ass right around.