Friday, May 08, 2009


Don't let the swine flu scare you off Mexican S.T.R.E.E.T.S.

If you've read any paper, from any part of the world, over the past couple of weeks, you know the apocalypse now has a name: Swine. But don't let the flu get you down before it gets you dead. The best place to party post-apocalypse is Mexcio!

Before you can say "too soon", here's why the birthplace of Swine has always made me swoon.

1. Day of the Dead: Creepier than Christmas, once a year Mexicans celebrate the Day of the Dead, in which they build alters of Sugar Skulls and Marigolds to honour gone loved ones. I have no idea what a sugar skull is, but I'm pretty sure I'd like my friends to lick one when I go.

2. Tattoos: Tougher and more tribal than their nancy North American counterparts, the mix of tradition and contemporary in Mexican tattoos keeps them richer and more relevant than the colourful cartoon characters Canadians keep getting inked on their arses.

3. Spring Break: After attending two spring break bouts of teenage hedonism sipping on tequlia sunrises at an all-inclusive swim-up bar, I can confirm that everyone comes back from Mexican spring break smiling and scratching their crotch. What's not to love?

4. Tacos: Load it up and slap it down on a paper plate with a side of beans and beer, Mexican food is made for a sloppy, sunny party. With cheese? Yes, please.

5. Morrissey: As was documented in Chuck Klosterman's IV, Mexicans love the Mozz. Gaining a new fanbase in Mexican youth, after Americans abandoned him for messing up the Smiths, Morrissey famously said, "I wish I was born Mexican."

And Morrissey, man, I'm with ya.

3 comments:

carli mia said...

ole!

sarah nicole said...

this is awesome.

have you been to tacos el asador? bloor and clinton. cheap and the best. when i get a bike, we'll go!

Irina Gro. said...

not too soon for me!