Thursday, May 28, 2009

A true blue girl

Brittney Townson is a graphic designer, a fashion and culture blogger, and the former front-woman of a hyper stylized (new) new wave act. To me, she's a friend. The force behind Shirk, Townson has been blogging a series of Q&A sessions with her own style icons. This week, we both get to play interviewer and interviewee. First, Brit posted my response to her questions. Today, I'm posting her words.

They are as follows.

If you were a brand, which would you be?

Hm, can Value Village count as one? I guess not, eh? I'M GONNA BREAK THE RULES. I am a cornucopia of fashion styles from all eras and fads all rolled into one. You name it, I've shopped there. I even look for shoes and other accessories in those nasty old chinese dollar stores. I swear there's something cool everywhere as long as you dig deep!

Which would you rather give up, cigarettes or accessories?

Oh dear god. Please don't make me choose. Well, truth be told I actually don't wear that many accessories; I'm a very simple dresser. No earrings, you'll rarely see me wear a necklace, and I'm definitely not a bracelet girl. But I do love my rings. Well, at least accessories won't kill me.

You're interning at Vice, what's that like? Are you ever scared you'll wind up on the DON'T pages?

Vice is great, the people I'm working under are all very nice, funny and pleasant. The building I work in is a great atmosphere as well. Sure, isn't everyone afraid of being a DON'T? But I know that aI think I good when I leave the house, and I don't really give a fuck about anyone else's opinion after that.

Speaking of Vices, what is yours?

Many. Obviously smoking and drinking are two. Making fun of my multicultural friends is another. I kid, it's all in good fun! Becky's brown! But seriously: Mariah Carey. Sex and the City. Staying up until the sun comes up. Gold jewelry. Sale racks. Late night drives. Physical lovin'. Etc.
You also work part-time at American Apparel, has Dov Charney made a pass at you yet? Also, AA is all about basics, what's your favourite basic? And more importantly, can I use your discount?

I haven't had the PLEASURE of meeting Dov in person, but we hear a lot about him. I guess that would be a funny story to share if it happened. Yet, also terrifying. Basics are incredibly important, because like I said, I'm a very simplistic person. It's all about black pencil skirts, because they make any outfit look good. Black tights. Black shoes. And then white tank tops and t's. Everyone needs a good leather jacket, a good blazer, and a great purse that matches their shoes and coat. And a great hair cut; the hair makes the bod that makes the look. Oh, and English pea coats are a must for everyone.

Discount, check.

I've always thought of your look (and personality) as tough-but-sweet. How do you manage this dual look-life?

Haha, that's such a perfect way of putting it! I've never been much of a girly girl; it's something that I've only really discovered in the last three or four years. I used to be this jeans and chucks wearing girl with boyish haircuts. But mixing that with frills, lace, pastels, heels and blush; oh my god, heaven.

By trade, you're a graphic designer. How would you describe your personal design aesthetic?

I've always been an artist; a painter, illustrator, yet always fascinated with fancy fashion magazines and their typography, page layouts, etc. So I basically thought, what's the only sensical way to make money by being an artist these days? Graphic design. My "style", if you could call it that, is simple, bright, and fun. Big, bold typography and cleanliness. See? Simplicity is the way to go.

Celebrity or street style, pick your poison.

Street. Celebrities don't choose their outfits when they hit the red carpet; they have some Hollywood fashion-school graduate do it for them. These kids in Europe and Japan and all over roll out of bed and put together eye-explosions of outfits and go about daily life. It's incredible.

We both blog about our own lives on occasion, but is there anything you won't write about?

Anything too personal. For example, I was dumped by my boyfriend of three and half years today! But you won't see me blogging about that. I doubt some girl checking out my latest vintage purchase gives a flying fuck.

Wow, is it ok that I’m blogging this? You heard it here first: Brittney Townson, a single lady, roaming the web. Moving forward...

Spending so much time on the internet, we often forget fashion exists more in the moment than the photo. Do you have a favourite ensemble that you've worn out to an event this year?

Good question. As usual, I wear way too much black. But I triiieeddd my best a few weeks ago; I wore my black harem pants, hot pink Steve Madden pumps, a mint tube top and my jean jacket. I was happy.

Which season suits your style the best? Are you a spring/summer kind of girl, or more fall/winter?

As I mentioned, I love pea coats. Especially ones with big collars. Everyone looks FEIRCE in those. And leather boots. But I love summer because I can wear my flats and summer dresses again. I guess I like a little bit of every season's style musts. But obviously living in Canada, I'll stick with summer. It's not long enough to even enjoy, yet we spend all of this time prepping for it!

If you were to let me look through your wardrobe and borrow one item, what do you think I would want?

I love your jeans. I love your jackets, and I love your bow ties. Can I borrow all of those?

Whoops, I meant from your wardrobe. And yes, of course. We’ll do a trade.

Design work, last summer
Cigarettes and fur
Sunglasses, scarves, and girl who mostly wears accessories that start with "s"
New hair, every time
The last look

No comments: