Thursday, May 07, 2009

Snowed in.

On my morning walk to work I passed by a familiar face staring back at me from the cover of an alt-weekly lodged into a newsstand. Having been gossiping just last night with a friend who met Mr. Maddin in the deep end of the Sargent Park Pool, I was ecstatic to see my former city's most famous film-maker on the cover of EYE.

Guy Maddin is renaissance man if the city has one. Best known for his creepy cuts in films like Tales From Gimli Hospital and the Saddest Music in the World, Maddin is about to be talked-about for more than his movie-making.

A man after my own heart, Maddin hosts collage-parties for his artists friends, where they country's most creative cut and paste together pictures that will become large scale prints at a later date. And now, Maddin is trying his hand at my other love, writing.

Below, is an excerpt from his new book,which shares a title with his film, My Winnipeg.

Winnipeg.
Winnipeg.
Winnipeg.
Snowy, sleepwalking Winnipeg.

My home my entire life.
I must leave it.
I must leave it.
I must leave it now.
--

Always winter.
Always winter.
Always sleeping.
Winnipeg. Winnipeg. Winnipeg.
--

We Winnipeggers are so stupeed with
Nostalgia we’re actually never quite sure.
I never really know anything for sure –
Except that after a lifetime of trying
And many botched attempts,
This time I’m leaving for good.
Again.


Thanks for making my morning, Mr. Maddin.

No comments: