Thursday, July 16, 2009

Mr. Keith, meet Mr. Martin
photo by Jordan Chu

In my family, dinner means an agreeable location and four oversized entrees. My sister eats directly from my plate, which I rarely finish, and my mother sends back her dish with complaints to the chef. The entire ordeal lasts about an hour. 

In the Chu family, dinner is much more grandeur. There are countless courses, spinning table-tops, and an unlimited selection of liquor. Thirty-odd guests attended the graduation celebration of Mr. Jordan Chu, held in the banquet room of an uptown restaurant. Two tables hosted family, another grads, and a fourth was reserved for miscellaneous friends. 

There, I was treated to Korean vodka, Canadian beer, and constantly rotating culinary offerings. I learned never to assist the wait staff from your table seat, only to pour tea for others (never yourself), and an apparently ancient rule: when an elder pours you a drink, you must finish it. To that, I happily complied, as did the adorable blonde across the table, who I kept sneaking booze to after friends insisted she be cut off. 

I left with a stuffed stomach, and awoke still feeling full, which was likely better than how the blonde felt.

For that, thank you, Mr. Chu. 

(Also, Jordan Chu)

(Just me, sorry!)





2 comments:

biz said...

<3 russless
xxxo

Jenn said...

I love this so much. Beautiful photo of the two of you!

My Uncle always forces us to get a table close to the kitchen because he's convinced you get better service.