Thursday, April 07, 2011

All work, no play

When I showed up for the work retreat my boss asked if I was allowed to drink. Twenty-four hours earlier I’d been bleeding from the mouth. Three sealed pockets of pills and one day of work later, I’d decided the wisdom tooth socket had healed.

I’m not supposed to, I told him. Supposed to? But you can? A nod. So the first beers were served with dinner. In local style large bottles were laid on the table and small glasses passed around.

After dinner at a ranch-style home on the edge of town, we laid the cards on the table and started the drinking games. A quick switch into sweatpants and I was ready for the night. The white people hurled out the best Korean catchphrases we knew; the Koreans posed with peace signs in our pictures.

We all passed out earlier than we had expected, some in mid conversation on the couch. We woke on floor mats with headaches and hunger ringing, hoping someone would drive us home.

















No comments: