Friday, August 22, 2008

Older. Better. Faster. Stronger.

I'm always receiving compliments that end with for your age. When I was a child I was well spoken for my age. When I first started publishing my writing I was told my portfolio was strong for someone so young. Teachers in high school told me my work was beyond my years. Even now, I'm told its impressive that someone my age does the work I do. 

I'm 20. Not old, not young. At age 16, Einstein had performed thought experiments and Ice Cube had penned Fuck Tha Police. Hemingway was a reporter by 18. And that 14- (erm, 16?) year-old Chinese gymnast has already won a gold medal at the Olympics. 

Is age relevant? I would like to say no. Teenagers can be scholars and intellectuals and seniors can be artists and athletes. But when I get advice from my father or from a friend 5 or 10 years my senior, I realize experience matters. 

That said, I wish people would stop relating my accomplishments to my years. And I don't think my mom appreciates it when people relate her good looks to her age, either. 

2 comments:

Vaneska said...

You make me feel old. :)

biz said...

your know your young when you think being old is cool