Thursday, August 07, 2008

A White Plastic Fence:
The only thing separating you from the game.

Last week I attended a Blue Jays game. As I wrote in July, baseball games can be a lot of fun. I was privy to a complimentary ticket that granted me entry to a box, where free booze and food were promptly served. One dinner plate and three Stellas later, I had a new appreciation for sports games, even if I wasn't spending a lot of time watching baseball. I did however learn to cheer at the right times, shake my head when it was appropriate and frown when I wasn't sure what was going on, hoping to look like I was deep in concentration. I left a bit early so I could see my friend's band Modele, but I maintain that as long as there is food and booze, baseball games are a blast. 

Then on Sunday while we were attending a mass pool party in Brooklyn, I discovered an even better sport. The art of Dodgeball. The dodgeball games are a sidebar to the concert series, which has featured some of my favourite live acts including M.I.A., Gogol Bordello, The Hold Steady, and Wilco. But a sub-sub-culture has developed around the friendly matches. Apparently Brooklyn is all about the dodgeball. All I have to say is Brooklyn, I'm with you on this one. 

Here's a photo laundry list of the reasons that dodgeball games rule:

At baseball games, the fans get sloshed. At dodgeball games, even the players have a healthy buzz.
Your friends want to go. You don't even have to offer them free beer.
Dodgeball lends itself easily to funny outfits. 
Jocks may tell you dodgeball is utterly recreational, but you can develop some serious pipes with this sport.
Pretty girls show up, and not just the cheerleaders the team paid to be there. The girls also join in on the games, and not in the WNBA sort-of way.
At the end of the day, its not about who wins. Its about who has the best bruises to show off afterwards at the bar.


1 comment:

hali hamilton said...

looks like a fabulous time. as if i expected any less.

ps. this is my blogspot blog (and the only one i use now), so add me to your bloglist and get rid of that old one!