Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Umbrellas out: its been a rainy summer.

I'm a sucker for a theme party. Last week when I was invited to a sailor soiree, I jumped at the chance. Genna and I spent all week flipping through racks at vintage shops, rummaging towards the bottom of bins at the army surplus and assembling outfits that matched, but didn't look matchy. It also served as an excuse to have dinner dates and avoid necessary evils like cooking for ourselves and finishing outstanding laundry duties. 

We managed to find ensembles we thought looked more vintage than costume and made time to indulge in half-litres of red wine, pad thai and My So-Called Life on DVD. What would we have done if we hadn't had thematic outfits to plan our week around? Genna would have spent too much money on "regular" clothing and I would have spent 4/5 nights eating single serving chicken and pasta. 

Thanks for the party Dan. We hope you enjoyed your birthday. 

My first day of sailor school.
Don't rock the boat. 

4 comments:

carli mia said...

I'm going to borrow your hat.

hali hamilton said...

the sweetest sailor that ever sailed the seven seas

Russless said...

I'm looking forward to seeing you in it! I may casually wear it to class this year, as though its not a big deal.

biz said...

ahoy !

I can't upload my photos because I lost the cord in the peg. another tear in an ocean of disorganization. writer man, does that makes some sense ? maybe not. I have been staring into the center of my computer screen for many hours...

thrilled to have made a photo appearance on your blog!