Saturday, August 30, 2008

Your life amounts to the art you leave behind.

I learned that from Karl Lagerfeld, who has created some of the finest art of our generation. Whether or not he wants to call it art is irrelevant. Watching a Chanel show or looking at a Lagerfeld photograph evokes a sense of feeling. I've taken pretentious courses contextualizing contemporary art, I've been instructed how to paint, take photographs, edit videos and music, write, sculpt and collage. I've learned that you can't teach a feeling, especially the kind of feeling Lagerfeld creates. Some things get called art and others get lost in the jargon. 


Today is my final official day as an intern. Next week I return to being a student on most days, but I've saved Tuesdays for the office. On Tuesdays, writing will be my break from writing. Until then, I'm going to enjoy some time off, lounging around my condo in sweatpants, reading the New Yorker and pretending I live here: 

Enjoy the long weekend.

No comments: