Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Summer is over. Good Riddance.

It rained a lot this summer. Not enough to justify a trenchcoat, but enough to make riding the subway a truly awkward experience. I have no problems with gloomy weather. I prefer full-length everything, and own a collection of sweaters that would keep me warm through a healthy portion of an ice age.

What really bothered me about this summer was when it suddenly got hot out of nowhere. Everyone else on the street saw it coming (being it summer and all) but when I leave the house at 8 a.m., it's cold. Now that it's going to stay cooler all day long, I am looking forward to busting out old argyle, buttoning up jackets and layering vests on wovens and wovens on t-shirts and sweaters on everything.

I will admit, I don't really understand the summer phenomena. I'm convinced flip-flops cause toe fungus, I think of "tube top" as a synonym "accident" and I don't understand the appeal of a sunburn. However there are a few things I picked up over the past few months on how to dress for warmer weather.

Here are some of my rules:

1. Sunglasses will fix most of your problems- It seemed like every pair of eyes, young and old, was covered by a pair of Ray Bans this summer. Nothing against the specs (I sport a pair of knock-offs later in the post), but all of the summer's best finds are thrift and sale rack. 

2. Denim shorts go with everything- Many will disagree with me on this. But denim shorts are a lifesaver. Instantly you can get rid of an old pair of jeans, and have a new pair of shorts. They aren't classy, but neither am I. Plus they even out proportions, and make over-sized clothing look charming on small frames.

3. Bring out your dancing shoes- Winter in Canada is frigid. On some days, snowboots are a must. Uggs on the other hand, are never acceptable. During the summer, nearly any style of shoe can hit the snowless pavement. Mix it up, while you still can.

4. Don't get a haircut, wear a hat- Humidity ruins every type of hairstyle. Throw on a hat, and be granted shade. 

5. Graphic tee's are your friend- They are comfy, affordable, can be worn day or night and go in the dryer when you spill ice cream on them. No one is making you wear a giant HOLLISTER logo across your chest, but try hitting up a t-shirt shop and buy some fun, seasonal, cotton tee's with quirky graphics. Your exposed wrists will never feel this good again.

6. If all else fails, dress up like a proven summertime character- Back off, Hunter S. Thompson is already taken. 

2 comments:

Vaneska said...

Very cute.

carli mia said...

dont trace my ip address.