Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Sometimes I see people in public I think I know.

It turns out that everyone everywhere just looks the same. 

In the spirit of Fringe I wanted to share this experiment I stumbled across online today. The video takes me back to my street improv days, of which there were two. During the first I got into a screaming match with my friend Amy, over our imaginary break-up. We scared an entire patio of club-goers as she slapped me (hard) across the face and I screamed that she was a cheater.

The second time I participated in street theatre was by accident. One minute I was shopping in downtown Glasgow and the next I was on an street impromptu date with an well dressed Scandinavian boy, much to the delight of the nearby pedestrians. He offered me a seat at a tiny table covered by a checkered tablecloth and topped with a flower. He gave me a box of sea shell chocolates and a Marlboro light, and asked me,

"What's the most important thing in the world? Is it happiness?" 

I had to admit, I really wasn't sure.

Either way, the homeless people heckled us until we agreed to sing "Wonderwall" with them, and the tourists took pictures. And that my friends, is what street theatre is all about. 

1 comment:

Alex said...

I've always wanted to do something like you're break up theater; but in a restaurant, ending with one party storming out, the other following in desperation and the bill left unpaid!