Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Video games just got a little gayer. 

If you are still subscribing to the myth that gamers are pale 14-year-old geeks with bad skin, you need to catch up on the times. The average gamer is over 30. Video games are a major cultural industry, and just about everyone plays some sort of game. There is such a culture around video games that gaming tournaments fill up stadiums in Asia. Pro gamers are treated like rockstars. Even in Canada, there are pro gamers who make six figures. I met the guys from the AMP energy pro team a couple of weeks ago, and I promise you, they are not 80's style geeks with glasses

That said, I'm a little skeptical about the assumption that if companies design the right game, anyone will play. This morning I read that Clueless, Pretty In Pink and Mean Girls are getting turned into video games. Who does Paramount think is going to buy these games? Are the 30-and-40-something ladies that aspired to be Alicia and Molly really going to go for this? And will you do in the games? Shop? Gossip? Feel insecure? 

I think I'll stick to Wii Golf and watching my friends play Halo. 

"Whatever." 

No comments: