Wednesday, July 09, 2008

  THERE GOES THE NEIGHBOURHOOD

Nigger drops on Tuesday (yes, Sarah, new music is still released on Tuesdays). The album has been renamed 'Untitled', but we all know the name. He wore it across his chest at the Grammy's

I'll stand behind pretty much anything my man Nas does, and I'm standing behind this. Because he's right. I don't care how many liberal minded white kids are running into Urban Outfitters and picking up Obama tees. To the people who own the store, he's still a nigger. 

I love the idea of a post-racial America, the same way I love the idea of a post-racial Canada. But it's not a reality. Go where I grew up and try to tell me Canadians don't discriminate. There blacks are niggers, gays are faggots and anyone from the middle east is a towel head. Let's not ban the words that make us feel uncomfortable. If we're uncomfortable, there's a reason why. Like Kelis said, many years ago John Lennon put out "women are the niggers of the world", and it hasn't changed. 

When it comes to "nigger", Nas has a lot to rap about. He'll turn the word on its head. And if he's calling that kind of attention to himself, you know he's got something to say. You heard the last album, and the one before that. 

And Brooke Anderson needs to do her research. Why is hip-hop dead Brooke? 

If you're askin' - Why is hip-hop dead? Its a pretty good chance you're the reason it died. 

3 comments:

Kasandra Bracken said...

wait... don't you have a shirt (from urban outfitters) that states, nay, shouts, "HIP HOP IS DEAD!"..?
guess it's up to you + Nas to start the resurrection.

sarah nicole said...

it's true! i have a picture of you in that shirt!

whatever. you still make me wanna listen to nas. there must be a reason i dig his girl so hard.

Derek Kreindler said...

Have you heard his album yet? Superb.

Soulja Boy might have killed rap but hip-hop is alive and well my friend.